Future of streaming in djay

lol

You can sign into Tidal. I have a license though are you saying no option to sign into Tidal to unlock the SW?

In a nutshell it sounds like you have Djay Pro for Mac and you are looking to get Djay Pro 2 for free, no?

I am all ears (well eyes) to see how this goes…

What a bunch of crybabies! All I’ve heard is negativity with every change that algoriddim has made, and though you gripe about Spotify being illegal to use in public, you whine when it’s taken away.

Been a djay Pro user for a long time now, especially when they jumped “in bed” with Spotify. And while they have had their fair share of growing pains, it has gotten better with each incremental update.

I’m not exactly sure why the switch, but back in January, I could see the writing on the wall, for sure. As algoriddim has touted Tidal and Soundcloud, Spotify had become less prominent.

As for the future? My guess would be Apple Music will eventually have full integration with djay Pro. For those that have followed from the get-go, Apple has always had their hand in djay, in one form or another. At one time, the original Vestax djay controller was actually sold in Apple stores, and on their site.

Not too long ago, you guys even posted a news article about Apple CEO Tim Cook, taking a tour of algoriddim’s offices in Germany. That alone speaks volumes.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least, if Apple bought outright (or at least part) of djay Pro, and offered it as an upgrade in Apple Music. It makes sense. To much chagrin of most users, algoriddim had been toying with the idea of already charging for a monthly subscription service for their iPad version. I guess most people don’t know how R&D works.

To be able to sustain a future, developing and implementing new upgrades and features costs money. And by sending out free updates, algoriddim isn’t generating new revenue, aside from new sales of the software. And while DJing has definitely increased in popularity, it is still a relatively niche market they are targeting.

Like most things digital (Netflix, Spotify, HBO, Amazon, and even good ol’ magazine subscriptions), the subscription business model has always been the template for growing your brand, retaining existing customers, and future growth.

I would suspect by the end of 2020, we will hear an announcement from Apple. Not unlike the Beats by Dre buyout. Apple didn’t want the stupid headphones, or speakers from Beats. They wanted the existing streaming service that Beats had already built, so they wouldn’t have to waste R&D revenue to build their own.

Either way, I’ll roll with whatever service works with djay Pro. As long as they can offer a streaming service. Spotify and djay Pro? You had a good run. Sadly though, algoriddim… Spotify, well? They’re just not that into you.

There’s a pretty clear direction to do this, no matter which service to move to. Spotify to Tidal, SoundCloud, beatpport/source, etc. Just read to the bottom of the press release

https://www.algoriddim.com/streaming-…

Back when the original subscription model for djay for the iPad was announced, we were able to access a 12 month trial for $5. Am I wrong in that I might be eligible again because of switch? I got a screen message telling me I was still eligible but it wouldn’t unlock again.

Considering your screen name, I can’t imagine why. LOL - how is stating fact, defending a company I am
Loyal to, and trying to educate bring condescending?

1 Like

Have signed up for the trial of Tidal and Beatsource Link, in hopes that BP will step their game up with more tracks from popular artists. As a mobile DJ, with the bulk of my business as weddings, it will be sad to see Spotify go.

Even with Tidal, and the ability to mix with videos (very cool with djay pro) and Beatsources unique acapella, instrumental and radio friendly versions, combined they don’t even come close to the massive library of Spotify.

It will be interesting going forward- what the future will look like concerning streaming integration and DJ software. I feel like it’s just getting started. Those of us early adopters will look back at these past few years as the beginning of something that will be so commonplace in the future. A sea change is coming and I can’t wait to ride the next wave

Hi jessemcgoldrick,
We appreciate your honest feedback and always take djay user feedback seriously. Our team works hard to implement suggestions when it makes sense and when able to, and we are truly committed to continually improving djay. On that note, you’ve raised a lot of good points here in your post. So that we can handle these requests on a more individual basis, we’ve moved this post to another thread as this allows us to better track your feedback. Looking forward to further discussion and input there.

Please reference the new conversation here: djay features/ fixes I want to see

Just my 2 Cents… i was a Tidal user for some (i think 4 month) and i was so frustrated that they still have no FOLDERS for your playlists… its pretty sad. 
TIDAL would be an good enough alternative to spotify at least if they would have the ***** folder thing… 

Gotta admit, hugely disappointing that djay is losing Spotify.

I’ll reserve judgment on trying Tidal in July, but I know fir a fact Algoriddim are going to force me to buy djay pro 2 on macOS & & prob force me to pay for the subscription version on iOS vs the djay pro app I’ve got.

So it would seem djay are making me decide if to pay for the privilege.

I’ve been a avid supporter of djay since launch

This is a SAD day :frowning:
This has been a beautiful relationship.
Why is Spotify doing this?

“this is Spotify’s decision to withdraw from all DJ streaming platforms. Some of you will knee-jerk blame Algoriddim for ruining their DJ existence, but believe me when I say that this is the last thing that they wanted to happen. It has been their USP in an increasingly crowded DJ streaming market. So be sure to direct your anger at the right people i.e. not Algoriddim”.  from DJWORX

just transfer your playlist, or get a Spotify downloader (yea i said it,)

I kind of wish DJAY would pick up DEEZER! i have great results for dance music on that app!

Well now that I have a a DDJ - 400, I have been messing around with Tidal , we eally are missing a listed BPM of each track

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a large population of Spotify Premium users that have Premium primarily for DJing, so I wonder how many will cancel their subs following this move by Spotify. In general, I also wonder how much impact this will have on Spotify’s stream counts for the various tracks DJs like to play and probably play repeatedly.

Digging a bit deeper I found that Spotify’s licensing prohibits the streaming or caching of two tracks simultaneously and their ToS states “You may not, and you may not permit any device or system used in connection with the Spotify service to, segue, mix, re-mix, or overlap any Spotify Content with any other audio content (including other Spoftify Content)”

Despite this, they have had their relationship with Algoriddim for around six years, so I wonder what has changed their stance now. Commercial pressures I guess.

Perhaps they could get a new license to cover this scenario and add an extra tier of subscription for DJs to help cover the cost. I would happily pay a reasonable amount to continue with the convenience and library of Spotify.

Feel likes they’re missing a commercial trick here and I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose a load of Premium subs over this.