HID with Phase DJ

Hi @Dennis_Collins, please use the search tool before creating new topics. This allows us to provide more efficient support to everyone. Thanks! I have merged your new topic with this existing one.

Regarding Phase HID, we do not have any news to share at this time. However, the dev team is well aware of user interest in this. I’ll report back here when there is news to share. Thanks!

2 Likes

Trust me, this is not a duplicate entry of Phase Dj integration... .

The software currently works with Phase in DVS mode using analogue signals, but Phase DJ can work so much better and more efficiently in HID mode.
In HID mode, Phase DJ sends high definition MIDI-like jog positioning to the software in an all digital way, much like a joystick, not requiring the mixer to deal with the sound. There’s simply no RCA linkage between Phase DJ and the laptop/tablet in HID mode, everything goes through USB.

It will not consume a channel of the mixer for DVS, not require additional cabling, it’s all in all a much cleaner implementation, not to mention the sizeable increase in angular precision compared to what you get with a 1kHz control tone at 44kHz sampling rate.

Please consider HID for Phase DJ, it should be as easy as enabling a HID-cappable USB controller with only two big jogs and no buttons.

2 Likes

Thank u for putting this… Phasedj mentions this in their latest update! They have now allowed other softwares to take advantage of HID.

IMG_4111|557x500

So it should be possible to use DVS with any mixer or controller, even if it doesn’t explicitly support DVS, right? I would like to use my 1210s with Djay Pro, but it’s not worth buying a new mixer just for that.

No… Not all mixers supoort dvs… Unless you use an external sound card… Which is a bit of a headache :cold_sweat:

That was already the case with analog timecode. With HID, however, the hardware, such as Phase, sends corresponding midi signals directly to the software, which are then converted there. So the route via a mixer should be unnecessary - shouldn’t it?

1 Like

Hi @palestina, please use the search tool before creating new topics. I have merged yours with this existing topic regarding Phase HID. Please use the blue Vote button at the top left to show your interest in adding this feature. Thanks!

You are correct!
Because when in HID mode, Phase works as if it was its own controller.
If the DJ software allows multiple controllers at the same time, you can assign the transport control (vinyl jog) to Phase.

That has nothing to do with audio input/ouput, which is reeeeeally nice. It allows a much wider audience to use DVS

There’s no need for mixer DVS support using Phase in HID mode.
The software has to support DVS as of “high resolution, vinyl-like transport”, but technically Phase DJ in HID isn’t DVS anymore, just a high resolution jog.

1 Like

Sorry brother, this one flew over my radar. Thanks for the merger.
HID is a game-changer and the turntablist community is now essentially fully converted into Phase because of how expensive needles have become :smiley:

1 Like

No problem! You’re welcome. The dev team is aware of user demand for this feature and we’re keeping an eye on the votes here. Also, thanks for sharing your DVS knowledge!

No even with HID mode you still need a mixer with a sound card or an external sound card to use with a mixer that doesn’t have an internal one. Phase in HID provides midi control, it doesn’t output audio and the audio needs to get from your iOS device/computer to your mixer somehow. You could in theory use phase in HID mode with just an iPad and 1210s I guess, but that doesn’t seem ideal.

1 Like

Of course, the sound has to be technically output somehow. But the important thing is that I don’t have to buy a new (and expensive) mixer that explicitly supports DVS.

1 Like

That’s right.
It could technically work with a simple iPad as @Themainman3 stated - Phase DJ would have to connect to the iPad via USB OTG. Sound output could possibly happen using one of Phase’s own outputs. Remember Phase is also a soundcard.
This would be the world’s most portable DVS solution :smiley:

Phase isn’t a sound card, the only audio that can come out of its rca outputs is a control tone. You can’t use it as an audio interface. The official website explicitly states that a sound card is required to use phase.

2 Likes

You are correct - in that case another device must be in charge of the output. Either the iPad itself, or a mixer, or anything.
Still more practical than having to route 4 cables (a pair of stereo in/out) to and from the mixer just to have transport controls.
OIP

1 Like

Looks like Phase is positively trying to engage Algoriddim for HID integration - this is an excerpt from their Q&A:

Can I use Phase with djay Pro AI via HID?

As of now, there is no dedicated HID integration available to use Phase with djay Pro AI directly via USB. We are working on bringing this feature to our djay users and are in contact with the Algoriddim teams. We hope to see this integration live soon. However, we do not have a specific development or delivery date to communicate at this time. Stay tuned for updates!

Source: How to Set up Phase with djay Pro AI

2 Likes