How to use an external usb/wireless drive with iPad for Djay app?

There is actually a pretty simple workaround for ‘library capacity’ and access using the iPad; admittedly, it involves bringing a laptop, but it should work.

If you have your iPad set to ‘sync with iTunes over Wi-Fi’ & ‘Manually manage music & videos’ [can be done under the ‘Summary’ tab for your device in iTunes, in the ‘Options’ section], you can drag & drop music onto your iPad without having to perform a full sync or be directly connected to the iPad. This will give you the ability to locate requests from your partiers on the laptop and transfer them to the iPad quickly; bring your entire library [in iTunes] and you can play what you need when you need it!

Special Note: You don’t need a ‘real’ Wi-Fi network to do this on a MacBook/Pro- you can use the ‘Create Network…’ option in the Wi-Fi settings on the laptop, select that newly created network in the iPad’s wi-fi settings, the iPad will show up in iTunes and it will work just the same!

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Can I use an external drive with Djay for iPad ?.

I’ve an HyperDrive (compatible with iDevices) with songs. How can I access thoses files with my iPad and iPhone, and how can I play thoses songs with Djay ?

connect external hard drive to djay on ipad.

Is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the djay app, I need to have 100 gigabytes of music necessarily, how can I do that? thanks in advance for your answer

This solution does not really need a video, it is pretty simple.

The issue you have is with Apple who drop update support for most devices after Appx 5 years.

Yes it sucks and you are right there is no technical reason for it, the hardware is powerful and compatible enough. This isn’t just apple though, Android is just as bad (if not worse!) with many devices being locked to a singular version of Android or maybe one or two versions higher.

However, theres not really anything Algoriddim can do in this case as iOS 13 is a requirement to allow browsing of external storage and Apple have locked this down.

And this is the tradeoff of DJ’ing on mobile devices.

A brand new iPad is really all you can hope for and then you can expect the fun to last 5 years before going though this all over again.

Android still sucks for audio apps, so you’re SOL there too.

Djay can interface with the seagate wireless plus hard drive. This will allow us to pull all the music me have into the app. Moreover, allow use to use the karaoke files as well and the we can use Apple TV to project the word.

Yes please on the video

Hey Guys,

With the introduction of IOS13 on IPad Pro 2018, what are the chances that musics can be stored on external drives and accessed

I have a working solution but requires a laptop and a wireless router, will find my thread and link it here. My solution worked perfectly at a recent gig.

Hi Eric, i couldnt get the Ad-hoc method to work between ipad and laptop, done sone research on it and it appears to be a problem. I have used my method using router for my last 2 gigs, both being over 5hrs and didnt have one issue.

Here is the link to my thread about my working solution for transfering music to ipad during a gig. https://c.getsatisfaction.com/algorid…

I posted a working method using laptop and wireless router, let’s you put songs ipad while djay is running, the song once uploaded appears in you library.

EXTERNAL WIRELESS HARDDRIVES for NUMARK IDJ PRO.

Will djay program offer support for wirlesss external hardrives. Ipads have limited memory this would be a blessing to alot of numark idj pro users

hi guys, what about having Djay allow access to the itunes “home sharing” feature. thus if you had a laptop in the same network that had the music in itunes, you could access the file. still allows apple to stay in the itunes umbrella.

Hi Scott, your solution looks good. You can make a video to show us how it works?

Djay use external drive for take the song.

I dont speak inglish very Well, but i use djay with my iphone and ipad ́s and the place is short for my ma y song an y by the mediashare wireless but djay dont read that it.s very pity !!! You think it Will change ?

Djay 2 + Lacie fuel 2tb.

I just bought a lacie fuel 2tb wireless disk and want to know if I can connect this to djay 2.
It is working great on my ipad with the seagate plager but iT doesnt shows up in djay2
Anyone has an idea how to fix this?
Many thanks

Ipad 2, Djay 2 and a wireless harddrive.

Is there a wireless harddrive that works well with the ipad2 and djay2?

I would like to store music on the harddrive.

Thank you for any advise,

Darrell

In lieu of that option, an alternative (albeit expensive) possibility is to get the latest generation iPad that has 128 GB of storage and use that only for Djay and storing your music library.

I actually considered doing this, but have decided for now to just keep a subset of my music library on my 64 GB iPad2 and use that for as long as I can bear it.

Perhaps not 100% ideal, but the iCloud solution is already supported through the standard Music app, which you can run in parallel with Djay. That’s what I do. I keep a limited library stored on my 64 GB iPad, and when I do need a song from my complete library that’s missing on the iPad, I can toggle to the Music app and initiate a download there. Once it’s downloaded, Djay is able to load it.