iPad USB sound routing issue

I’m not sure if it’s only related to the controllers that are automatically detected, but I found this issue with a Mixtour.

When you connect a Mixtour and then connect an additional USB sound output, Djay shows all outputs but doesn’t actually send sound to any of them when selected.

The last connected destination does work on the system as the iPad (in this case) routes all other sound (e.g. system sounds, Spotify) to that.

The workaround is to turn on [Output to iPad Speaker] in Djay’s settings before plugging in a different USB destination. This makes Djay forget about the Mixtour’s channels / sound card when the additional output is initialized.

Also see: Precueing using external USB sound cards - #25 by Mister_Tuur

1 Like

This workaround also works in my issue: Compatibility between HDMI output and Reloop buddy audio output using iPadAir

Hello @Mister_Tuur ,

Thanks for reporting this here in the Community.

So we can try to reproduce what you described, please record a video capturing each of the steps you take to connect the Reloop Mixtour controller to djay, select the additional sound output(s), and experience the sound not getting sent to the selected output(s). When recorded, please share it with me, using the following method:

1. Upload your video file directly to our Dropbox service using this direct link: Upload to Dropbox.
  2. Upload your video file to a cloud storage service, like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive, or to your own YouTube account, and share a link to your video.

Thanks. I’ll be on the lookout for your reply!

While trying to record the video I noticed different behavior.

It is not consistently reproducible as Djay seems to store (and recall) more info than just the outputs that show in the settings.

Once I got a working setup it recalls that setup even when I disconnect and reconnect the second USB destination. In other words, it just works. The problem is when you somehow do not have a working combo it will recall that setup, with your sound (possibly) being routed into the void (although the second destination consistently works for other iPad apps and the settings might show the exact same / correct routings for ‘Main Output’ and ‘Pre-Cueing’).

So it looks like Djay recalls routings on a lower level than just the drop down in the settings.

Now for the exciting bit, I currently have all sound destinations working at the same time (both stereo Mixtour channels and the second USB destination - using the ‘Booth’ output in settings). So this means multiple USB destinations do work after all.

Getting it up and running is fiddly though.

1 Like

Also have a look at this post for a screenshot of the setup in action…

1 Like

Hello @Mister_Tuur ,

Thank you for the follow up and sharing all this useful feedback.

I’ve made sure to pass it on to our Dev Team directly, so they can look into it in detail.

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

I am having a similar issue, except that it’s worse since the workaround does not even work.
Using iPad connected to Reloop Buddy + trying to connect external microphone on the iPad minijack input.
As soon as I connect the external microphone, I hear a glitch, and then audio routed through Reloop Buddy stops working (no sound even though main output & pre-cueing still configured on Reloop Buddy).
If I connect external microphone first then switches main output to Reloop Buddy, I get sound correctly routed for 1 sec, then I hear a crack sound and then sounds on main output audio stops.

Can you help?

Sorry, but what do you mean? There’s no such thing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.