Lightning Camera Kit Not Working *UPDATE - FIXED in iOS 16.5.1*

Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know that there was a new iOS update last Thursday, v16.5.

Unfortunately, the lightning camera connection kit is no longer working after this update for some.
This means that all iPhone and iPad users who installed the iOS 16.5 update are at risk of being affected by this bug.

Like many of you, we were informed by various media and tech sources such as MacRumors. We will link their write-up on this issue below.

We are hopeful that Apple will act fact on this issue and provide an update soon to all iPhone and iPad users.

Currently, because there is no solution, we STRONGLY suggest that you do not update your device to iOS 16.5 until there is an official resolution from Apple.

We will keep this thread along with a post in all other categories updated as new information comes in General. Thank you all so much!

Update! This has been fixed in the latest iOS release, 16.5.1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the most recent iOS 16.5 update last Thursday. The usb still worked flawlessly with my phone Sunday afternoon. Lucky i guess?

1 Like

Hey @Lowshinobi - First of all, Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your first post.

We appreciate you letting us know that the USB is still working for you despite the update. Hopefully, this is the case for other users who have also updated already!

1 Like

Hi Team unfortunately the problem still exists, I am based in New Zealand, I just came off a call with their support team, appears the Apple Camera adaptor doesn’t work at all with the 12W power adaptor. No charging to device or power to my Pioneer DDJ400. They are aware there’s an issue but no resolution timeframe, which kinda sux as I have a gig next Wednesday!

Apparently, it’s possible to downgrade iOS, maybe that’s a solution? A bit sketchy to download iOS from a foreign site so use at your own risk. How to Downgrade iOS and Keep Your Data | Tom's Guide

Hi wow I’ve just gone into running my latest tracks having updated to 16.5 and have the same issue no longer compatible it’s very frustrating

FIXED!!!

I had the exact same issue with my iPad mini 5th gen after 16.5 update. I was using a camera adapter for connecting my iPad mini with DDJ FLX4 and it stopped working as soon as I updated the iOS to 16.5. I thought it was an issue with my camera adapter so I even bought another one but it still didn’t work!!! (Should have googled it before I bought another one. Sigh…) I heard news from Mac forum that the new iOS 17 or even 16.6 (with this bug fixed) might be available around the end of June or early July. I have a gig this Saturday so I just can’t wait so what I decided to do was get the 16.6 Beta 2 developer’s version via 3U Tools. After I updated iOS to 16.6 beta 2, the camera adapter worked again!!! (Now I have a backup camera adapter. lol) If you are not in a hurry I personally don’t recommend getting iOS 16.6 beta 2 in case it has any unknown issues but if you really need to use the camera adapter now then, I guess this is the only solution for now until Apple releases the official 16.6 or 17.

Hi everyone, we wanted to let you know about one possible workaround for this issue while still using iOS 16.5:

We found that using a Lightning to USB-C cable (instead of Lightning to USB-A) to connect the camera adapter to a (USB-C) power adapter works fine in our testing. Note that this is just about how the camera adapter is connected to power, i.e. your DJ hardware can still be connected normally to the adapter’s USB-A port.

If you have a Lightning to USB-C cable please give this a try and let us know if this works for you. Thanks!

1 Like

If anyone does need to downgrade their iOS / iPadOS versions can I suggest a program called 3UTools.

It’s Windows only, there are some claimed Mac versions, but they are direct copies and not official, so be warned…

The official 3U though, has every firmware for every device ever….plus it has lots of other good additional uses.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention it, but I’ve used it for years for various firmware changes and never had an issue. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Just a quick update to this issue…

Apple has released 16.5.1 updates to iPadOS and iOS.

The release notes state:

“As ever, Apple’s release notes say very little about the content of the update, but this time it does single out one bug that it addresses for the iPhone and iPad.

“This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users,” says Apple. “It also fixes and issue that prevents charging with the Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter.””

So get your iPhone / iPad updated and this should all now be sorted.

:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Came here to mention this as well, but you’ve beaten me to it.
This one came just in time to test before this weekend’s festivities.
Other than the adapter issue, you can’t be sure what other tweaks help us unless you upgrade, folks.

2 Likes

Hey All!

As previously pointed out by @sooteee and @heysoundude (thank you!) - The Lightning Camera Kit issue has been RESOLVED with the latest iOS update, 16.5.1

We can verify that it is working on our end. Feel free to update yourselves and let us know how it goes!

Please let us know if you have any questions. We’re more than happy to help :slight_smile:

Hi. I have a problem. My adapter doesn’t Connect with my audio interface, Just charge the ipad. Does Anyone has something to say about?

@Origenreal make sure you’re using a genuine Apple adapter. Some of the 3rd party adapters simply don’t work with djay. Also update your iOS and djay app to the latest versions.

I just tested with iOS 16.6/Djay 4.1.10 and my DDJ400 won’t power up when plugged in to the genuine camera adapter. It was working perfectly up until the recent updates. The console powers up fine through a PC.

Anyone else having issues with iOS 16.6?

Hi @Beemee, please make sure you connect the hardware in the right order as outlined here:

Connecting things in a different order will in our experience sometimes not work correctly. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response. I did try things again in prescribed order and nothing changed. The device will not power up.

Any other ideas?

Can you try using a different power adapter? If that also doesn’t work it would be interesting to know if the Lightning adapter works with other USB devices to ensure it is not faulty.

1 Like