midi learn on iPad

Lots of controllers have DC inputs and don’t require power via the ipad itself … with DJ player +vci100 mk2 I can manage at least 4 hours playtime when the pad is fully charged, plenty for most gigs

Of course if the manufacturers would also get off their asses and allow charging while in use like the spin :wink:

Any chance you can link to the thread detailing the workaround

Hmmm, I just tried this with my vci-100mk2 and cannot get it to work

“VCI-100MKII Controller: the connected device is not supported”

Downloaded DJ pro, edited the vci100 mapping
Navigated to the new mapping in ~/library/application support/Algoriddim/midi mappings.

Copied it into the documents section of itunes (where it currently shows up)

VCI100 is connected to the ipad via powered USB hub

>Open DJay2
>Hit Settings
>Hit Midi
>Says Found 1 Device

tried this with the default mapping within the package file Vestax VCI-100MK2.djayMidiMapping

Is there something I’m missing ?

Also how did you set up the audio ?

Cheers

*edit* this might be a bug with ios 9.1 - installing 9.2 and will give it another go

Yep I’m using the official CCK.

I’ve used it with DJplayer with no issues before, but I’m thinking my current problem is IOS related, I was on 9.0 when I last tried DJplayer but since upgraded to 9.2.

The message pops up regardless of the application running. Grrrrr

Got it working - and working like a champ :smiley: … looks like it was power being the issue (despite the “unsupported” messages).

Had a WeCai cable and plugged both sides into the powered hub - restarted the ipad, Vestax logo popped.

You Sir are on my xmas list :wink:

Got it working - and working like a champ :smiley: … looks like it was power being the issue (despite the “unsupported” messages) and not iOS as I had thought.

Had a WeCai cable kocking around and plugged BOTH sides into the powered hub - restarted the ipad, Vestax logo popped everything mapped and audio working perfectly.

BTW, I’m using a Vestax USB hub, VCI100mk2 and ipad mini (first version)

You Sir are on my xmas list :wink: its running smooth as butter even on an aging ipad.

Yep it would be… about 6ft across hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Might be that the built-in mapping takes priority

See Tank Jones solution above in response to my rant. You can simply create a mapping on the desktop version of Djay to any (class compliant) midi controller, export it and transfer it to the ipad via itunes document sharing :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a few midi controllers and all so far have worked, I imagine it should work for 4 decks, however I only have Djay 2 currently and doubt my 1st gen Mini would handle pro.

Built in mappings “might” be given priority over custom ones - someone else needs to confirm this is the case though with a supported controller and custom mapping loaded

you could in theory extract and repackage the app with your new mapping in the same location as the stock one and then repackage the app for install via sync.

It “should” work as you are not modifying any core files from the app, its bit of a workaround though and not within the grasp of many.

You can already - see above, you map using the desktop version and share the mapping with the Mobile App via itunes.

So long as the Midi Controller is Core Midi Compatible it should work.

You can use the demo version to create a map

Same thing happened with my VCI100Mk2. I originally thought it was a mapping issue, it wasn’t - it was the cables (which worked before iOS 9 I might add)

I used a different USB cable (WeCAI Dual Power / USB) Plugged into 2 ports on the Hub rather than just the one, I have no idea why this would make a difference, but it did.

The Same thing happened with All other applications as well, e.g. DJPlayer the “not supported” message is generic to iOS.

Have you successfully used the Faderfox with another Midi App, if not, try first, if you get the same error then its down to the device power or Hub or cables.

Are you using a good powered USB hub ?

Are you Using the OFFICIAL Apple Lightning to USB connector ?

Is the RMX2 Class Compliant ?

Did you transfer the hercules mapping via Itunes ?

If the answer is no to any of the above then thats probably the reason.

1. Create and Export your Mapping from Djay Pro for Mac
  2. Open itunes
  3. Add the Map to Document Sharing for Djay in iTunes
  4. Sync iPad

On another Note, Most Powered deviced STILL draw 500ma from the USB connector so you will probably STILL need a powered hub - I do on both my AKAI and Vestax which are both powered.

I can fully understand their reasoning for not including the mapping “features” out-of-the-box.

There’s far too many support issues surrounding getting non-iOS specific devices working on an iPad e.g. Power Requirements, USB hubs, the large number of fake USB-Lighting connectors etc and that goes for any Midi and Audio App not just Djay.

It could cost a fortune and cause alot of heartbreak to both users and staff to start troubleshooting each device on a case-by-case basis. Supporting a small number of compliant devices is a much more sensible stance.

Hell I’m pretty tech-savvy and it took me a few attempts to get it working - try explaining the power requirements of iOS or “class compliance” devices to a computer noob.

I’m just glad they left the backdoor open for us to tinker with our own midi devices even if its on a completely unsupported basis.

You’ll need to either:

1. Borrow a Mac, and create a mapping using the Demo of Djay
  2. Befriend someone who’s mapped an RMX2 already
  3. Create a map using notepad, midi translator and spend a ton of hours figuring out what all the functions do.

You’ll need to actually create your own map as there is no built-in mapping for the RMX2 and djay pro (only RMX)

Have you tried extracting the App itself from within OSX and either:

A) Modify the built in mapping and re-compress or:
B) Simply just deleting the stock mapping altogether, recompress the app and use document sharing as per normal to load any new mappings.

In both cases delete the app from the ipad first and sync-load the modified version.

I think either method should work as you aren’t modifying any core files of the application and it might make it a lil easier to sync mapping modifications if needed - not to mention latest updates to iOS would no longer be an issue :wink:

I tried it with Djay already and it did sync and run on the ipad with a modified vestax file added to the mapping folder, I don’t have a supported controller to check if deleting the file and adding one via doc sharing would work to replace the stock mapping though.