Neural Mix and Tidal don’t work together anymore

I understand that there has been a change in the licence, fine. BUT I REALLY need to have the error message deactivated - had a gig last night and the message “Neural Mix cannot be used when streaming…” kept showing up repeatedly during the night, interrupting me in my play. Someone who knows how to solve this? I have many important shows coming up in the coming weeks :frowning:

Many thanks!

Quite a lot yes, just not as much as Tidal. Try Tune my music as it has ability to transfer playlists from tidal to Beatsource. You might not get every track but a lot I would say.

I found a bypass, alltough not perfect. Ik download Tidal playlists (or Spotify) via the Macsome application to my hard drive. And import that to Algoriddm. Neural works fine on that, but you miss the search function, so better have a solid party-playlist beforehand.

1 Like

Ok, not an option for me - I use Djay on an iPad Pro with Mixon 8 Pro and want to be able to mix and stream from Tidal - I am fine with the neural mixed removed, but the constant/nagging error message needs to disappear!

Hi @Fredrik_Livendahl, thanks for bringing this up. I agree that this would be disruptive during a set. I’ve shared this with the engineering team to see what can be done.

1 Like

Do we already have an official statement from Tidal? So no speculation or assumptions? Is it just them being greedy or is it the labels?

Also, can we please have Deezer? All these premium services are no fun anymore. It’s not a big deal for (semi) pros, but for the hobby DJ…

Creativity seems to get more exclusive each month. Such a shame in these days when hardware finally is accessible for almost everyone.

Edit: Please click the [vote] button here peeps…

2 Likes

@Slak_Jaw can we get an official statement from Algoriddim on whether or not this is a Tidal imposed restriction? The fact that Track Separation with Tidal still works in Rekordbox points to it being an Algoriddim imposed restriction.

Why would Algo restrict its own functionality?

Still, I’d like to see an official line too. :wink:

1 Like

Tidal states that they are subject to approval by the authorized rights holders and are exploring solutions that will allow TIDAL subscribers more creative access to the TIDAL catalog.

Wonder how Rekordbox and Soundcloud are getting away with this? Pardon the angst, but the toothpaste is out of the tube on this one, and this is only going to push hobbyist DJs towards piracy. Google “tidal-dl” to see how easy it is for me to download my entire library in lossless quality and resume using stems just as I was.
We were all ok not actually owning any of our music because streaming services made it easier to buy than to steal. I sure hope the rightsholders consider that equation when deciding to allow stems in DJ software.

5 Likes

I can confirm it is a Tidal restriction. This is quite well documented outside of this forum. Check out Mojaxx on YouTube for example, or digital DJ tips:

Breaking: Tidal Pulls Stems From DJ Software - Digital DJ Tips.

I had a gig on Saturday and the restriction kicked in Saturday morning (despite not updating any software on my iPad since June). So don’t believe everything you read about not updating your software.

I got around it be running a trial of sound cloud for a month. But I suspect given it’s the artists that are pushing for the ban, all the big streaming services will follow suit. I should also pint out that running sound cloud meant all the playlists I’ve curated in djay couldn’t be played on SoundCloud without manually researching for each song. :weary:

I agree wholeheartedly with the generally views on this thread. It’s such a shame to have this killer feature taken away from us. Especially given algoriddim was one of the first - As soon as serato got the functionality it seems the plug was pulled.

Back on the SoundCloud side of things, I’m not sure I’m prepared to rebuild my sets and playlists again, I did it once with Spotify, then with tidal and feel I’ve now been burnt twice and fully expect it to happen again. I’ll personally look to build of music that own for the core sets I play, cancel the tidal sub, and run SoundCloud in its place for the odd request I get for a song I don’t have (while stems continue to work that is).

They’ll (streaming services) be telling us that we can’t scratch a streamed song next…

1 Like

Can’t phantom why on earth the labels might have an issue with that. Especially since there are loads of ways around it, and there probably only will be more.

So, again, please allow per track plugins Algoriddim!

1 Like

Also, I don’t get why we won’t get an official line from Algoriddim. If this is some sort of NDA thing it makes me feel like there’s something sneaky going on.

Why so secretive?

1 Like

It hurts Algoriddim’s business.

But I must say I have some understanding. It is borderline re-mixing, and if the quality of separation increases it becomes re-mixing. The question is if we make money with re-using IP of others? As an on-line DJ I also stopped publishing my playlists, I put a lot of effort in creating them and want to stop ‘collegues’ from bluntly copying them. Regarding ‘owning’ music, we don’t own it, we bought the right to play. Let’s hope that DRM can not do the same with tracks that are played from local resources.

Doesn’t matter. You still pay for the stream. With or without drums or vocals.

I’ve read these things too. Where’s the confirmation? This is all speculation. Quotes from Phil…

Major labels probably feel having stems in DJ software is overstepping the mark.

We think that major labels may feel the whole mashup thing is so big they have to control it.

And to sum things up…

we are guessing the labels ultimately have decided they want to make that harder for us.

Clear as mud until someone finally opens up. Again, what’s the big issue in being straightforward? Simply start communicating as every respectable company would.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if Daniel Ek is behind all this. :clown_face:

That was a confirmation by the way… :wink:

1 Like

The music industry never learns. This is much bigger than them, remixing, ect. Data is much more valuable than any royalty could ever be, and the data detailing how DJs use stems is very valuable indeed. Imagine if a big tech company like Amazon or Google suddenly got a new source of data to monetize or analyze and then decided: “nah, we’re just gonna turn that off and not use it because we CAN”. Their stock price would drop, there’d be a leadership shakeup, people would look at them like they’re crazy! Like I said in my previous comment, I and other DJs will continue to use stems just how I was, but now offline.

1 Like

Or loop. :shushing_face:

Madness.

1 Like

I hope it’s not like which streaming service will pay the biggest royalties to get neural/stems working

3 Likes