Neural Mix Mute/Solo Latency when Keylock is On

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model (e.g. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen): iPad Pro 5th Gen
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1): iPad OS 17.4.1
  • Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2): 5.1.6
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro): Reloop Mixon 8 Pro

Summary of the issue:
Stem separation with Neural Mix works great except when I change the BPM of the song. I am experiencing this issue on both mac and iPad.

How to reproduce the issue:
Load a song
Increase the BPM of the song
Play the song
Switch to neural mix pad and solo any of the stems. You should hear a delay before the stem is soloed

Iv noticed this too, but only first time you activate it after the song is loaded. (with pitch change)

After that it seems instant

Interesting. Mine keeps lagging even after I’ve activated the first time

I just tested on Herculus plugged to a Macbook 2021 M1 and was able to reproduce the issue.

In fact, you don’t even need a controller to test it. Just soloing with mouse or touch is enough to reproduce the issue

Hi @codebeast,

1. Are you using streaming services, local music stored on device, or local music stored on an external drive?
  2. Are you running any other background apps on your iPad?
  3. Can you please switch to multitrack Neural Mix view and let me know if you still experience this latency?
  4. Can you please also try to capture a video of the issue, upload it to your Google Drive/Dropbox, enable sharing permissions, and share a link to the video here?

Im not the original poster, but have had similar delay with Neural Mix

Using Neural Mix view removed the initial delay before the first use of Neural mix
(pr loaded track)

mac mini M1 2020
Monterey 12.7.4
Djay 5.1.5
Rane 72
LaunchPAD mini

only LaunchPAD mini connected when testing now

Thanks for the follow up. Please note that Neural Mix STEMs are not automatically calculated when you load a track into a deck. They are calculated when you use any Neural Mix controls or if you use the multitrack view. Depending on your hardware, the time to perform this calculation will vary. My personal workflow involves either using the multitrack view or using a Neural Mix control when I first load a track to force the analysis/calculation.

thanks for the extra details. Then it works more like I expected.

Is there any disk use for this data ?
(will it secretly fill up some cache somewhere? manual cleanup needed?)

You’re welcome. No, the analysis is done in real-time every time you load the song.

1 Like

@Slak_Jaw I did not have any luck with the options you shared.

1. It happens on both local and streaming
  2. I quit all apps and restarted and still experiencing the delay
    3 Used the neural mix view and still experiencing it
  3. Here’s a folder that contains the local and streaming tests: DJ pro – Google Drive

Thanks for the help.

@Slak_Jaw I’ve also downloaded DJay Pro on my iPhone and tried. I am getting the same issue. I don’t even need to have a controller connected, I also experience the issue when using touch to trigger the stems on different BPM

Hi @codebeast,

1. What file type are these videos in? When I download them they are showing up as Type=File so I cannot open or play them.
  2. On both your iPad and iPhone, please navigate to the djay Settings>Advanced>NEURAL MIX> and share screenshots of the Quality settings.
  3. Hopefully I know more once I’m able to view the videos, but this is starting to sound like a hardware performance issue to me. I would close ALL apps on your iPad, perform a Forced Restart and test again (Force restart iPad - Apple Support)
  4. Also, please refer to my personal list of iOS Tips for maximizing performance: iOS Specific Advice / Tips

Hi @Slak_Jaw

1. Weird you can’t view the videos. I am able to play it from chrome browser. Its a screen recording of my iPad and should work when you play the video from any browser. No need to download. If you insist on downloading, you can let me know the format you are expecting and I can send to you.

By the way, the link I sent is a folder containing different videos. Here are the links to each video:

Local: Local - Google Drive
Beatsource: Beatsource - Google Drive

1. I am experiencing the issue on iPad, iPhone, and Mac. Here are screenshot for for each:

iPad

iPhone:

Mac:

1. I am quite sure it is not a performance issue. I have nothing else running except DJay Pro on all devices and all devices have maximum spec from Apple

2. Thanks. Will definitely check them out now

Hi @codebeast, okay, I was able to watch the videos in the newest links. I think I see what you’re talking about now. Let me forward this to the engineering team to see if they can replicate the issue. I’ll report back here when I have news. Thanks!

Sounds great, thanks @Slak_Jaw. I am also happy to jump on a call with them if they are unable to reproduce so they can test with my set up.

You’re welcome @codebeast. Sounds good.

Hi @codebeast, I just spoke with the engineering team. Turns out this is a technical limitation with Neural Mix. The latency is currently unavoidable when using Neural Mix Mute/Solo when Keylock is ON. So if you are okay with the pitch of your song changing, you could turn Keylock Off. Otherwise, in this use case, you will need to adjust your timing to compensate for the delay. Sorry.

Great, thanks for updating me.

1 Like

You’re welcome @codebeast

Is there a new feature opportunity here? It would be nice to have the ability to pre analyze neural mix STEMs for all tracks in a particular playlist.