Recording with djay 2 and Spotify

Dave, I agree with you, but admit it is poorly advertised. It is NOT STATED that you can’t record when using Spotify, they could have put an asterix or something. Spotify integration was my #1 reason to buy the app, so I can record my mixes without having to download hundreds of trucks to my iPad.

You can see I posted a screenshot a year ago, the page is still the same.

https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad

Just open Quicktime Player - Select “New Audio Recording” - Select your card. Done. You are welcome.

I’m out, cancelling my premium subscription with Spotify now! Going back to production instead of DJ’ing. Folks, Spotify and Algoriddm can’t do anything to change how the recording industry protects it’s properties. Yes, this whole thing about not being able to record in djay 2/pro with Spotify is because of DRM. I mean whaddya gonna do about all the underground sh**. You can’t protect the airwaves people! People had been recording radio ever since the 80’s (probably even before that), nothing you can do to stop people from doing so either. No matter how many disclaimers you put out, print out, and show, there will always be hackers pirating your sh**! So instead of preventing hacking … how about making media accessible for ownership at a lower cost. Artists are not to blame for making much money on record sales anyway, they really deserve it. It’s the recording companies and their greed I’am sick and tired of!

You are using Spotify itself combined with Djay and Spotify itself ABSOLUTELY has this well documented.

Trust that the DJ bloggers already know that NO DJ APP will enable its users to break the law and/or terms set forth by their partners.

Wouldn’t that be a iTunes related question? I don’t know of anyone at Algoriddim claiming to support this.

I assume you are looking to purchase the songs you have populating your Spotify playlists then. I know you can google this but off the top of my head https://discussions.apple.com/thread/…

It is not algoriddims call and we as DJ’s should all be aware of our local and federal laws and rules as well as the end user terms of ALL our products. You must sign up with Spotify in order to use this and it is expressly and clearly prohibited and you agreed to that the day you signed up with them regardless of what any given third party app allows or does not.

What would you have them do? They do not specify that you are not allowed to use djay for other illegal activities either … Should they have to?

If your suggestion is for algoriddim to re-word the record advert or add a disclaimer than I 1000% agree.

This is the reason for end user agreements which you as the end user are responsible for understanding and agreed to the second you decided to use it. This is spotifys policy not algoriddim and trust you will get nowhere as no streaming partner allows content to be recorded as per their arrangements with the record labels who provide their content. You are asking and expecting algoriddim to assist you in facilitating a breach of their partners policy’s and it is just the way things work unless you own the licenses to the content you are planning on recording. Working in finance would probably not help you understand this as it has absolutely nothing to do with RIAA policies or the companies protected by them.

Btw you said it yourself the advertisements reads “your media library” and keep in mind not one song (downloaded or not) provided by spotify is part of YOUR media library. Your sobscriotion provides you with the ability to stream music for your enjoyment and does not even allow you to play said music in any public or commercial environment.

If we are being honest it is practices such as these ^^^ that lead to such strict licensing policies in the first place…

The Quicktime audio recorder also records your pre-cueing output…it records EVERYTHING. Not useful if you wan’t to be able to pre-cue on the mac…

The reason you can’t record MIXES with Spotify and djay is pretty simple I’m surprised none of you have worked it out yet!
If you can record a MIX that means you can record a SINGLE TRACK that means you can just in theory download everything off spotify can you not see why for a business model based on streaming music this makes NO sense???
I for the record am a dj and it’s an annoyance I can’t directly record but as has been pointed out at least 10 times there’s loads of workarounds stop moaning about the problem and use one of the solutions

I have recorded my own mixes but I can’t manage to load them up either on soundcloud or YouTube does anyone know how to ???

Sorry mate I’m having a lot of trouble doing this. dont suppose you can help?

tsk tsk all this to avoid buying music. this what i do. i mix the tracks in djay2 just to see what goes together and write down the list it creates. then i " buy" 10 tracks for 99 cents each. (10 bucks!) with an actual file, i can chop it up and put it in maschine and do more creative productions with it . instead of paying spotify 10 bucks and ending up with nothing.

it wasnt designed for you to record your "spotify"mixes. it was only meant to be able to see if music goes together in a mix. they made it mobile so you can create your dj playlist while youre away from you actual dj gear. anyway the record function only works with music you have stored in your ipad. im sure youve figured that out already.

No I understand it 100%. You’re creating DJ sets within DJay2. And you just end up with a list of the tracks you played. I know because I’ve tried it.

What I am trying say is that Spotify is not going to do what you want in regards to allowing recording of mixes from within djay2. If they did, what’s stopping people from recording individual tracks as well? Which I think would violate DRM. I was simply stating what I would do, which may work for some but not all.

Anyway, I tried recording my sessions using an outside source (my computer) and to be honest, the quality sucked even at the highest quality setting in spotify. If you were to do this make sure you reformat your mix (MP3) to a higher quality.

Ok and how do we get our Spotify playlist in to iTunes

Not hard people. Put a inline record feature to MIDI recording device.