Freezing during playing sets (Power supply issue)

• Device model *Ipad Air 2024
  • Version of operating system *17.5.1
  • Version of djay *: 5.1.7
    “While playing a set last night with DJay, the screen froze. I had to shut down and restart for it to work again. I just upgraded to this new iPad because neither my Windows version nor my Android version of DJay was working properly. Now with this new iPad, I have a new issue. Can you please fix this soon? I have a big gig next week and I can’t have this repeating while playing live
    20240622_001716_1
1 Like

Hi @illya_kroon, thanks for the details about your setup and the video. To help me troubleshoot this issue, I have some follow up questions:

1. Were you running any other applications in the background when this issue occurred (perhaps and iCloud sync or background app downloads and updates)?
  2. What is the source of music you were playing when this happened (for example, MP3s stored on iPad internal drive, music on an external drive, TIDAL streaming, Apple Music Streaming, etc.)?
  3. Are you using a DJ controller or other connected hardware like an external audio interface? If so, please provide all details about your hardware.
  4. Were you connected to WiFi and Bluetooth when this issue occurred?
  5. Can you think of any other factors which may have contributed to this screen freeze?
  6. Have you been able to replicate this issue?

Thanks!

Hi@Slak_jaw. thanks for the quick reply.

1. I was not running any other applications at that moment.
  2. The music source at that moment was Tidal with the Dj.extension.
  3. At first I was using a Pioneer DDJ 200 when it froze and then I disconnected it and the screen stayed frozen.
  4. My tablet was connected to WIFI and my speakers connected true Bluetooth via the tablet.
  5. I can’t think about any other factors that may have contributed to the screen freeze.
    6.I haven’t been able to replicate this issue.

I hope this will be fixed soon.
I will let you know if it occurs again.

Many thanks,
Illya Kroon

Hi @illya_kroon, thanks for the additional info. This is helpful. Please note that the engineering team needs to be able to replicate your specific issue before they can identify the problem and address it. So, if you are able to reproduce it yourself and share the steps, that will really help. I have forwarded everything you’ve shared so far to the engineering team so they can try to replicate this.

In the meantime, you might find my personal list of tips for DJing on iOS helpful. Myself and many other users in this community have implemented these into our workflows to maximize performance and stability:

Hi,. Slak_Jaw.
I was not able to reproduce the issue yet. But I will let you know if I do.
Thanks for the advice on performance and stability
Best regards,
Illya

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Thanks for the follow up @illya_kroon.

If this happens again, you could try moving the app to background and re-opening it (without quitting, music will keep playing).

Slak_Jaw.
I had the same issue last night while practicing. The screen froze again.
I tried to move the app to the background but this did not help. I had to shut down and restart again.
I hope you can repair this bug.

Thanks for the update @illya_kroon. I’ve passed this onto engineering to see if this helps with troubleshooting.

1 Like

Hi again @illya_kroon,

1. Did this happen with djay 5.2 or are you still on 5.1.7?
  2. Are you using a DJ controller or just the iPad?
  3. If just the iPad, how are you connecting to the sound system?
  4. If you are using a controller, please share details about the device and if the controller was still responsive even though the iPad screen was frozen.

Hi Slak_Jaw,
This happened with Djay 5.2
It happened twice, once with a Hercules Dj control mix, an other time with a Pioneer DDJ 200.
My connection with my sound system is by Bluetooth.
And yes the controllers were still responsive.
Do you know why is this happening?
I can’t have this happening while playing live at a gig or party. .
Thanks in advance,
Illya Kroon
20240709_234436_1
20240709_234436_4

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info @illya_kroon. I have forwarded this to the engineering team to see if they can reproduce the issue and offer any suggestions.

@Slak_Jaw thanks for the quick response.

You’re welcome @illya_kroon

I have the same issue right after a song loading. It’s random and the screen will lock for about 15 seconds

Hi @Five-0, can you please provide more details about your setup so we can determine if there is any commonality between both of your situations?

Device Model (ex. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen):
Version of operating system (ex. iOS 17.3.1):
Version of djay (ex. 5.1.3):
Hardware/controllers used (ex. Reloop Ready):

Device model iPad Pro (11-inch) (4th generation)
Operating system: iPadOS 17.4.1
Djay pro 5.2
Hardware
DDJ sx2
DDJ Sr2
I have experienced the same type of freeze on both. I lose control of all touch screen operations and controller functions. The sound cuts out like a second. But then control comes back

Hi @Five-0, thanks for the info. This sounds like is could be a USB connection issue. Have you tried a high quality, shielded, USB cable with dual ferrite cores on either end?

Since my last issue you solved, I’ve been using all apple certified power cables and power bricks. I’m gonna try buying a new cable

2 Likes

Hi @Five-0, I’m just following up to see if the new cable solved your issue.

I’m having the same problem —tried adjusting the Tidal quality—no luck—I went to Beatsorce—no problem—but I like Tidal much better—not the cables —they load fully—Got the latest version of Tidal and Dj pro—I use Reloop buddy that’s made for Dj pro—Beat source works great —you can’t get full albums with beat source and it sucks finding songs—no phone app either— ain’t even transfer from a third party play list—Tidal is pissing me off first take away doing stems and now this—Can anyone please help—thanks