Implement a comment section

I mainly use djay, for mixing, but in order to also be able to sort/ find my files on rekordbox, I use the comment section of tracks for tagging genres energy etc. I would love to be able to view these in djay Pro ipad too, so I can choose my tracks better based on my tags. So far I have the workaround to create smart Playlists in iTunes but that is either a shit ton of Playlist for every possible combination of tags, or I only can filter by one.
If I could see the comments of the I’d tags, I quickly can see what other moods/genres the song in a specific Playlist links to.

Example I have songs I tagged as tech house and bass House. Now my smart Playlist with techhouse tracks shows me all tracks labled with tech house but in order to find the tracks that are also labled bass House, I would need to either create a smart Playlist with both labels for every possible tag combination or I need to look up the comments so I could just see it.

5 Likes

Hi @Hans_von_Freymacher,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to our new community!

Adding comments to individual tracks is definitely a good suggestion for djay for iOS. Thanks also for sharing some details about your workflow and how adding this feature would help with this!

It would be great if other users share what they think about an additional comment section and also how they would use the section in their djay workflow. And of course we’ll have a better understanding for how popular this request is if other users like and/or vote on this suggestion.

Thanks again for your feedback!

6 Likes

Just to make sure, I’m talking about the IDtag comments, not Djay internaly.

4 Likes

Yes please add a comment field! I have a similar workflow. I use the comments field to help organize my tracks and to create smart playlists. I use comments like energy level, warm-up, peak time, closer, female vocals, male vocals, chill, heavy, etc.

In addition to the above, ideally we would be able to add comments within the DJay app itself. I use a lot of streaming tracks via Tidal, SoundCloud and Beatport LINK so it would be great to be able to add comments to these tracks and have them stored in a similar way to Cue Points and Beatgrids.

So far my work around for this has been to create a bunch of playlists within Tidal to group tracks into these fields. Not ideal.

4 Likes

It would also be nice to have track star rating field. I have used this in the past to indicate the energy levels of my tracks.

8 Likes

Absolutely agree! Star rating and editable(!) comments in DJAY would be awesome

6 Likes

Rating and comments is absolutely imperative!

3 Likes

Not only for iOS, also for Mac.

Adding color tag, that is show as background color and can be filtered upon, to a track would be simple and flexible.

This in addition to detailed user defined text tags etc, but color tags alone would already be great!.
I’m talking about internal DJay for all library sources.

6 Likes

This topic seems very related to the one discussed here: Song List Column Display

1 Like

I also agree: comments and ratings are extremely important. The ratings are already displayed, but they cannot be set within Dejay. This needs to change as well.

3 Likes

@Slak_Jaw @Lukas_E Would like to bring this suggestion back! Have had to switch back and forth from Serato lately for work due to some drifting in DJay Pro, and I can confidently say the color highlight tags and comments sections on the fly within DJay Pro are the only things missing!

These features are extremely helpful for organizing playlists / sets, it’s not all about BPM. Being able to assign different colors or comments for energy levels and then sort by them is crucial for building momentum in sets…right now it’s too cumbersome to create a bunch of different playlists and try to track down the right songs.

Can we please see this feature in the future? Would be phenomenal!

10 Likes

My suggestion here is that we should have about 5 optional fields to fill out what ever we want to put it there no matter if the song is streamed or local one.

This would mean that we should be able to

• define the type of the field like text, integer (possibility to add range min/max definition), date/time etc
  • for physical file map the field to wanted mp3 tag
  • to be able to use these fields on smart playlist/filters etc

That should cover all additional needs we have.

5 Likes

This reminds me of virtual dj for some reason. With that said, color highlight, star rating, and an editable comments section in the browser for streamable and local files would just be sublime.

Can’t really refine playlists without these key features.

3 Likes

Seriously investing into DJ Pro AI now having gone back to back with Serato over a few weeks as It’s just far better software in mt experience in almost every way EXCEPT…

The main advantage of Serato remaining is the availability to edit tags across ‘crate’ based playlists which encompass both tidal streaming based tracks along with local or cloud based Mp3 and WAV files

This is vital to really get the most from sets from my perspective and a feature I can see the DJ pro community cheering for

Once that’s integrated it’s game over hands down DJ Pro has it nailed on all fronts as I see it on the software side :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I fully agree even if I use Rekordbox and 'not Serato. But I think the basic idea is that in the end regardless of the DJ software used.

My personal thought … Djay Pro should be a native Apple software incorporated in Itunes (Music). Then listen to the needs of professional DJs to make it better even if it is more complex. Having the ability to put my Playlists on a USB stick to use on CDJ or Controller players would be the Top.

2 Likes

Bump. I use ratings heavily and the ability to rate/comment on songs is something I’m dearly missing.

6 Likes

Agree with all of the above… the library needs an option to display a comments field, star ratings, colour ratings etc… the way Serato does this is very good, and it’s the only thing in my opinion that lets DJPAI down. I’ve toyed with going back to Serato because of the lack of these features, but DJ Pro is still the better software in other respects.

4 Likes

Reviving this thread—still using Serato due to these key features missing!

We have 9 votes on this similar thread: Metadata Editing Please!

With the 21 here we have a total of 30 votes, let’s try to get other involved and the ball rolling on this. @Guillermo any visibility on these features (editing and writing comments, labels, color tags) along with a prepare tab for streaming and locally stored tracks?

Still holding onto hope to switch back!

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat: for me, being able to edit ID3 tags for Rating and Comment is absolutely necessary for a DJ app. If this feature is not getting into the roadmap, I guess I’ll have to switch back to Traktor (which would be pain in the ass!)

4 Likes

So just picking this one up again… In my opinion the only thing that’s really lacking in the software. Comments, colours, ratings, etc… selectable columns. It’s all been said.

I mainly use DJPAI on iPad, but looking at the mac version the other day I noticed there is indeed a comments section and various other columns on that. The iOs version can read the data I believe, but not display it. I’d love to see this shortcoming fixed… other than this I love the app.

2 Likes