Mixed In Key integration

Let’s hope not cuz I literally changed over because of those grids and was already upset about my. Cues not showing up and so if you solved that problem but it really hasn’t been/can’t be solved I will be extremely sad

If you are referring to the cues being slightly off the grid, that’s just how it is,
Your track has now been re analyzed and the Fluid Beatgrid has now set the grid, as a result the cues may be off slightly, but they will still be there, at least that’s the case for me.

It is a bit of an inconvenience as I have close to 3000 tracks in my library but as I load my tracks, I just adjust the cue’s on the fly, might take 30 secs/ track, depending on how many cues I have set.

Hey Melbourne,
This would be sweet, but I was not able to reproduce it?

What were you unable to reproduce? The Mixedin Key 10 cue points or the DJ collection transfer into Serato DJ then to Djay Pro 5? Just remember that this only works with AIFF files.

1.Mixed in Key 10 cue point transfer
a. The files cannot be in your library before putting in into Mixed in Key
b. Add files to Mixed in Key 10 to be analyzed.
c. Import into Djay Pro 5 reanalyzed files in Djay Pro 5 the cue point will show but might be off the beat grid at some point. Because Mixed in key will take the beat grid from the meta data of the file if it has been written to the file by a DJ Software. Only 2 DJ Programs I know that does that, Traktor and Serato.

DJ collection to Serato
a. I use a discontinued program called Rekord Buddy to transfer my collection from Traktor Pro 3 to Serato DJ then Serato DJ writes the cue points and beat grid that Djay Pro 5 will be able to read.

As soon as the windows version of Djay Pro 5 gets all the features of the MAC/IOS the DJ collection to Serato is the method that I will be using to transfer my Traktor collection to Djay Pro 5. Who know how long that will be. It took 4 years to get what we have now, and it is still incomplete compared to the MAC/IOS version.

This seems to work with most files, just not FLAC.

I’ve managed to get it to work with mo3, aiff and m4a.

Yes, there seem to be some serious issue with flac files in Djay Pro 5. I have reported this since the inception of the beta version for windows. I have a few write up about the various problem with flac files. According to Slak Jaw it is being investigated by the engineering team. Hopefully I will get to use the program before my subscription runs out. With the missing features for windows and the inability to play flac files properly the program is not usable. Waiting to see what the next update for windows fixes or what features from the MAC/IOS gets added.

Thanks for the detailed reply and your question.
This is for “1.Mixed in Key 10 cue point transfer”.

I’m following the steps exactly but the cue points are not showing up.
a. Files are not in my Algoriddim library and are AIFF
b. I add them to MIK for the first time
c. They sync with Apple Music with the new metadata added
d. I open Djay Pro and analyze the song from Apple Music into Djay Pro. I even add it to the music collection of Djay Pro (instead of playing it directly from Apple Music within the tree folder)
e. Nothing is different (i.e. no cue points are added)

The advantage I am seeing is that it shows the Energy in my Grouping column, as I’ve populated that from MIK, but that’s a direct correlation from my Apple Music collection and nothing to do with Djay Pro?

Do you have the export to Serato enabled as mentioned here? Mixed In Key integration - #19 by Matt_Black For me, this also worked with MP3s (although it is a while back that I tried this as the cue points from MIK are not what I’m looking for). You should be able to see the cue points as ID3 tags if you open your file with a tool like Kid3

Holy Smokes,
Good catch, Joe!
I didn’t even consider that as I don’t have Serato and didn’t fully grasp his comment in part “c)”.

@Melbourne, you’ve just saved me a ton of time, so biiiig thanks :))

• p.s. I can confirm: MP3 and AIFF work. AAC and ALAC do not.
  • I can also confirm that if a song was previously in your library, it won’t work.
  • worth noting: if Mixed in Key gets the cue points wrong, you’ll have to adjust it manually in Djay Pro. So yeah, it would be sweet if they implement this, as it could be a ton of work to go between three different apps, even if I do it in batches.

Am in the process of building up a new Music Library (Apple), as I have some unexpected behaviour in mine since I updated from iTunes. I’m taking this occasion to upgrade the file format of all songs that I want to play. I was hoping to go with ALAC to save space, but this might just tip me towards all AIFF.

2 Likes

You are welcome. I wish Djay Pro 5 had the ability to write its own beat grid, BPM and cue point to the file Like Serato DJ and Traktor Pro 3 does. Would be great help if there is a corruption in your DJ data base collection.

So true…Algoriddim seem to be very on the ball so hopefully this might be something they consider.

Saving your collection data (beat grids, BPMs, cue points) is already possible via a backup. @Slak_Jaw described this over here: Making a backup?

1 Like

You’re probably already aware of this but any change of file format in music files makes them degrade a little bit so for sound quality it is best to always keep the original file format.

1 Like

Hey Joe,
Should have been more clear: I will be keeping my original files and file formats and keep DJing from them, but return to Bandcamp to download either ALAC or AIFF versions for the new collection, wherever it’s missing, until I build up the new collection to where it needs to be.

My ALAC files (in m4a containers) are working but justnlike when trying to get the cue points to show up in engine dj, you probably have to open serato and let it scan the files id3 tags. Been part of my workflow for years so it doesn’t bother me too much

1 Like

I’ll have access to Serato soon, so thanks for that.

There would be no need for this type of backup if Djay Pro would just write the Cue points, exact BPM, beat grid and Key to the meta data of the file like Traktor DJ Pro 3 and Serato DJ Pro does in their own proprietary field. In fact, Rekrdbox DJ does this across all platforms… Windows, Mac/iOS and Android it is called mobile library sync. One of the most under rated feature that has been implemented in a DJ software.

I understand why they don’t: It’s just not possible on iOS with files from Music.app. This could be fixed with a special type of sync that writes these only on the macOS side but I think it makes things needlessly complicated. The database works well and as long as you make backups you’re fine so I think it’s a reasonable compromise?

1 Like

Makes no sense if you are on windows and all your files are local on device files. This is just tag editing Rekordbox is able to read and write Cue points, BPM, Key and beat grid info to the file and sync across multi-platform Windows, MAC/IOS and Android with Rekordbox DJ. I think Djay Pro 5 should be able to do the same.

So some of the features that Mixed in key that I think the original poster should have specified are:

• Update Tags
  • This can write things like just the key, the energy level with the word “Energy”, and other combinations of them.
  • Export Cue Points
  • These can be ordered based on different energy levels throughout the songs. You can choose to overwrite any existing cue points in the collection.
  • Tempo
  • I suggest analyzing the track while loading the tempo set in the metadata by Mixed in Keys and to not be overwritten by Djay’s analysis.

Could you please let me know where we can access the Open Key Format option? I will update this and provide a link once I find it.

1 Like