Urgent Help needed! Major lag in djay

• Device model: MacBook Pro M1
  • Version of operating system: macOS 14.5
  • Version of djay: 5.2.1
  • Hardware/controllers used :Reloop Mixon 8 Pro

Summary of the issue:
Major Lag affecting Djay. Any action taken (pressing a button like play/pause or Load a song, turning a volume knob, moving the cross fader or the channel fader, …) experiences a lag between 1 sec to 3 secs. If the movement is fast (moving the cross fader from 1 end to the opposite), it is sometimes not even detected. On the display, the channel meter freezes while a song is playing for 1 second every 4-5 seconds.
Once in a while, actions trigger the spinning rainbow wheel during the 1-2 seconds lag. Clicking on a menu while in DjayPro also triggers the spinning rainbow wheel most of the time.
I tried rebooting macOS, closing all other applications, the problem keeps coming back. A couple of times the issue was not noticeable for a few minutes, then it started again.
I do not experience any similar performance issue with any other app on my mac.
No Swap used, Memory usage is 10GB out of 16GB.
CPU load is always below 20% (system+user).
When I am not experiencing the bug Djay Pro process is around 20% cpu.
When the lag bug shows up, the Djay process cpu jumps to 100% ( but overall CPU load for the processor is still below 20%).
I really need your help, I have a big private event where I will DJ in 2 weeks!

How to reproduce the issue:
I cannot pinpoint exactly what triggers the issue to show up while in the middle of a session.
Once the bug shows up, stopping and restarting Djay Pro does not solve the issue (Process restart at 97-100% cpu).
The issue happens whether I am using DjayPro without controller plugged or with my Mixon 8 plugged.

Hey man, this sucks. If you can make a video of issue and upload to drop box or equivalent, it will make it easier for developers to identify issue.

1 Like

Im experiencing this took but it’s randomly happening.
Pressing the Cue has a momentary lag on it but it’s more like .5 sec,
The way I know it’s happening is by moving the Crossfader from left to right quickly and the lag is noticeable there, as well as moving the pitch controller.

This issue occasionally happens when I start the app or if I have disconnected the iPad from my controller and then re connect.

I can fix this issue with a sort of workaround and then it doesn’t return until the next time it happens.

I have asked in another thread how to delete the app and re install it as I wanted to see if this cures the problem permanently.

1 Like

Quick update.
I noticed that my latest djay media library file is 6x bigger than it used to be. Current djay Media Library is 850MB.
All the previous backups from the last few months were between 140 and 150MB.
Previous versions might work - I experienced the issue once, but it’s definitely seems more stable than using the current 850MB version of djay media library file.
I will keep investigating, but I am wondering if the root cause of the issue might be related with the djay media library database.
Does Algoriddim provide a tool to check if a djay Media Library is corrupted or has some kind of possible issue?

Hi @Markouchio,

Thank you for sharing this inquiry in the community as well.

We will continue this inquiry in our email thread with you and provide updates on this topic after the fact.

Additionally, @maurizio_T, does this happen often, and is this issue easily reproducible?

This is unusually huge! Mine is 210MB and I have like 15000 video tracks, possibly 100 playlists and 90% of the tracks are cued. This might be a problem, but having said that, an abnormal media.library file size usually first manifests by a lag or failure in launching djay.
I once had the launch failure issue and got a fix from MixMaster G of ATGR (the guy behind DJ conversion utility app), and he sent me an app that fixed it (by basically compressing it back to smaller size)

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just as an update to @Markouchio’s recent issue, our teams were able to identify the issue.

If you will leave djay running for a bit, iCloud should resync with the app and prevent this lag from occurring.

Please let us know if anyone individually is experiencing anything different.

Thanks!

Ok by coincidence I was able to accurately pin point the cause of my lag.

So start with my set up
iPad Air 5th Gen
IOS 17.5.1
Djay Version 5.2.1
Denon Prime Go (although I have yet to test this with my Rane One)

My lag would occur usually randomly on start up and generally when I would unplug and plug the cable into my iPad.
At first I thought it was a cable issue but tried with 3 different cables and all with the same result.

The Lag I experience affects the Cross fader as well as all the faders and dials have a slight lag with them and don’t move smoothly on the iPad in correspondence with my controller,
The Hot Cues also have a slight delay when they’re being pressed, It almost feels as if I am djaying using bluetooth, however Bluetooth is switched off on my iPad.
Even the LED VU meter would have an occasional lag.

I find it eventually goes away but occasionally returns by itself.,

I tried something different to see if I could instantly replicate the lag to happen and then stop.

Turns out it’s the Wifi.
If I turn the Wifi on, the lag instantly appears, switching Wifi off and it instantly disappears.

I will do further testing and try it on the Rane One as well…

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to fix this issue without obviously switching the Wifi off?

I have tried resetting the Network settings on my iPad but it didn’t make a difference, The lag is still there whenever Wifi is switched on.

Just another update here,
Just tried it out on my Rane One,
exact same behavior…
With Wifi on, there is a noticeable lag,
Wifi off, the lag disappears
Slak, could you please follow this up for me as there doesn’t appear to be any response…
Thanks

Hi @maurizio_T,

Thanks for sharing this additional information and for your patience.

We recently just released djay v5.2.2, and I wanted to see if you’re still encountering this lag as stated previously.

Happily awaiting your reply. Have a good day!

Yes I can confirm that the issue is still there with update 5.2.2
It can be instantly replicated by switching wifi On/off.
I think after a while it works ok but I haven’t tested it thoroughly to see how long it takes.
I can also confirm that this is happening on both my iPad 9th Genas well as my iPad Air 5th Gen.

I can also confirm that it isn’t an internet connection issue as I tried with my home Wifi as well as Hotspot from my iPhone

I’ve been having the same issues. I noticed the lagging started happening after I installed the 5.2.1 update.

It usually happens after I’ve been playing nonstop for 1.5-2hrs. It’s definitely not an network issue because it’s still happening whether or not Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is on or off.

I’ve never had any issues with DJay in all of the years of using the software. The main issue is extremely slow song loading, lagging with all the cues, knobs, faders, etc.

Device model: 2019 MacBook Pro, 16-Inch (16GB RAM)

Version of operating system: macOS 14.6.1

Version of djay: 5.2.2

Hardware/controllers used: DDJ-800, XDJ-XZ, DDJ-SR2, DDJ-SX2, Numark Mixtrack Pro FX

Here is a video of what is happening:

Having the same issue. Djay Pro becomes almost unusable when I turn the wifi on. Goes back to being lightning fast and responsive with wifi off.

1 Like

I have been having this same issue and I tried turning of the wifi and that fixed it! Good catch!

Yes l was going crazy trying to find what was causing it as it would happen intermittently so it just happened that on my backup ipad, it wasn’t connected to Wifi and it didn’t have the lag, as soon as I connected to Wifi it instantly lagged, You can even see the LED meter hang for a split second as it tries to catch up with the music…

It does appear to come good eventually when the Wifi is on but it’s random…
As I don’t really rely on Streaming music except for the occasional request and be it that Apple music is currently having issues, it doesn’t affect me too much, but would like it to be sorted eventually

I am also having the same issue

I just read up on the thread and it appears on my end that WIFI is having performance.

Its untenable to have wifi switched off…Tidal needs it.

Have you tried turning WiFi off to confirm that fixes your issue?
I know you use it for Tidal so it’s not an option for you but it would be good if you could confirm if Wifi is the issue.

I think if I have Wifi Connected for a while it eventually stops lagging

I tried with local files thereafter and turning off WiFI seems to stop the lagging.

The moment I switch the Wifi back on…the lagging returns.

1 Like

My exact experience as well.
I think if you put up with the lag for a bit, it disappears until you shut down the app and restart it